Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 14:52:08 +0800 (WST)
From:      David May <mayd@cygnus.uwa.edu.au>
To:        questions@FReeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Q] Sendmail configuration question.

I want to set up  a special sendmail server configuration
but so far have not been successful.  I hope someone might
be able to give me some tips here or some suitable
sendmail configuration for a similar setup.

What I am trying to do is set up sendmail on a dual homed
host to receive and send mail from the outside world. It
relays all incoming mail to a mail server on the internal
network.  The server on the internal network relays all
outgoing mail to it for routing to the outside world. The
main reason for this is take advantage of anti-spam
features in sendmail and for security for the internal
mail server.  I think this is a common setup although
I might not have described it in the usual way.

The public domain name is mydomain.com.au.
The external mail server is mailhost.mydomain.com.au.

The internal network domain name is internal.
The internal mail server is mailhub.internal.

There  are separate DNS servers for internal and external
domain queries.

I tried defining MAIL_HUB in the sendmail m4 config file, based on the
FreeBSD default freebsd.mc but it did not work. I get error messages from
sendmail when I receive mail from outside:

SYSERR(root): MX list for mydomain.com.au points back to
    mailhost.mydomain.com.au

and the following when mail is received from the outside world:

Oct 12 13:23:39 mailhost sendmail[6230]:
NAA06228: to=<mayd@mydomain.com.au>, delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00,
mailer=esmtp, relay=mydomain.com.au., stat=Local configuration error
Oct 12 13:23:39 mailhost sendmail[6230]: NAA06228: NAA06230: DSN: Local
configuration error

I thought this must be due to problems with MX records and definition
of class "w" so I checked these.

There is a single MX record for mydomain.com.au pointing to
mailhost.mydomain.com.au.  /etc/mail/sendmail.cw contains entry for
mailhost.mydomain.com.au. When sendmail starts up it correctly
recognises its hostname, domain and node as mailhost.mydomain.com.au,
mydomain.com.au, mailhost respectively.

If I define SMART_HOST instead then incoming mail works perfectly but that
causes problems with outgoing mail. I.e. Unroutable mail causes a mail
loop.