Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 18:07:51 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"

At 03:59 PM 3/18/2000 , Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

>More recently, Hans Reiser makes it clear that he plans to
>dual-license ReiserFS in some way, GPL for linux and commercial
>licence for commercial vendors who may be interested, I think he
>too plans to control the copyrights to all contributions in some
>way.

Dual licensing doesn't work. Reiser will be caught in the same
trap as Deutsch.

Here's why. First, only a very un-savvy businessman would license code for
money when there's a GPLed version available. This is true for two reasons.
First, the existence of the GPLed version effectively reduces the market
value of its functionality to zero; anyone can get that functionality for
free! Thus, if one pays money to license GPLed code, one is paying for
something which has no market value to end users. This puts the commercial
developer "in the hole" from the start. Second, the GPL provides for a few
"loopholes" which allow the author's potential licensees to use the code
without licensing it. (For example, some vendors of print drivers for UNIX
invoke GNU Ghostscript but then post-process the output through their own
software after that. They don't change GhostScript itself.) So, in many
cases, they have no need to license the GPLed code, and the author loses.

So, if he ever wants to make money by licensing the code, he should not try
to do dual licensing. It WILL fail.

--Brett