Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 1996 20:19:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Brian O'Connor" <brianoc@gil.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gateway local net over PPP

On Sun, 8 Sep 1996, Brian O'Connor wrote:

> >2)  Run SOCKS.  No good; I don't know how to reconfigure the Novell Lan
> >Workplace tcp/ip clients to use the socks server.  (If someone knows how
> >to do this I'm listening!! -- or perhaps know SOCKSified Windows clients)
> >Anyone have a socks5.conf I can steal?
>
> The Novell LWP does not use winsock 1.1, unless you get the patch.  If
> you run winsock access to a socks server via some of the new software is
> quite easy.  I have used the Aventail 16 bit .dll, which works nicely.
> The question of UDP proxying also needs to be resolved, unless you run a
> cacheing DNS on your box to the net.  I have modified the udprelay
> software available on Wang's FTP server to do this automatically.  I
> have also modified the socks 4.2.2 and 4.3 software to handle dynamic IP
> address assignment on the PPP interface.

I'm running caching DNS so that will help somewhat.

So you're suggesting I go with SOCKS plus a SOCKSified WINSOCK.DLL, and
grab your patches to 4.3 to make it dynamically capable.

Since Socks5 is ported to FreeBSD, do you know if v5 can handle dynamic
IPs?

> Try:   http://www.aventail.com,   and
>
> http://www.hummingbird.com
>
> The sockscap software available from the nec ftp server ("socks home") will
> also make access via Win 3.1 to socks easy, but once again you need
> winsock access.  I have not tried this with the patched Novell LWP stack,
> but it works well with the MS TCP/IP for WFW 3.11. Sockscap is now
> also available in 32 bit for Win 95.

I don't know what you mean by "Winsock access" but if these Winsocks are
independently configured then I could swing it. I'm not in dire need of
the DOS LWP tools to get to the outside net, since I have a collection of
programs to do that for me under Windows.

> >3)  Run a firewall.  Trying that now, it doesn't look like the firewall
> >will proxy or perform the necessary conversions to get the replies back.
> >

> Depends what you are calling a firewall.  The "firewall" in the FreeBSD
> kernel is really only a packet filter.  Try the firewall toolkit from
> Trusted Information Systems.  It is a VERY nice full blown application
> gateway package, with authentication server - the works.  url is
>
>         ftp://ftp.tis.com

Someone else mentioned this package.  As long as it's free and ported to
FreeBSD :)  I'll give it a peek.

>         The TIS package is well worth a look.  Try a cacheing DNS on your
> ppp box - I have not done it yet, but it should be easier than running the
> udprelay package.  Socks 4.3 & 5 get around the DNS question, but not
> for DOS & Win 95 clients.

K.

>         I would be glad to help with more specific details if you need them.
> The hardest part of getting everything going was the dynamic IP address
> assignment on the PPP link.

I wish I understood how to configure socks5 -- they don't provide a sample
config so I don't know what's within it's bounds and what's not :(