Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 00:32:16 +0200
From:      Juergen Nickelsen <jnickelsen@acm.org>
To:        Alex Heiphetz <heiphetz@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 100% dependability/failsafe/security/hardware

--On Mit, 26. Mai 1999 10:00 -0400 Alex Heiphetz <heiphetz@cvzoom.net>
wrote:

> Juergen Nickelsen in his first post mentioned that FreeBSD
> won't run on that fantastic computer in the weather center.
> What do they run? I have experience with SCO, HP-UX, Sun and
> Linux :-) and I won't say that any of those is more robust or secure
> than FreeBSD (given equal hardware "horsepower").

If I remember correctly, it was a custom operating system with some
degree of compatibility to HP-UX (the system had PA-RISC CPUs) and
could run program binaries developed on HP-UX.

With respect to the hardware horsepower, this machine (taken into
service April 1996) was equivalent to a HP 9000/712 in raw CPU speed.

[All this knowledge is from end of 1996, so things may have changed
there.]

You can look around at Stratus's web site <http://www.stratus.co/>, but
I don't which type the machine was I described.

Greetings, Juergen.