Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 17:07:52 -0400
From:      Neill Robins <freebsd@nc.rr.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPS heads up

>> I don't know why they even continued to use SA after they released
>> Differential GPS, which is good to 5 meters and less.  It sort of got
>> around the signal degredation.  But, for the folks who didn't want to
>> sink $500 into a DGPS unit, this news is great.  It is sort of
>> surprising since it is 6 years earlier than planned.

NW> Because in order to use DGPS, you must be near a DGPS transmitter, which
NW> for most of the US (anywhere but the two coasts) is not a feasible
NW> option.

Granted, but if you are spending the money on DGPS you might be likely
to afford to subscribe to commercial versions in those areas other
than the coasts (which are provided free from the USCG, of course).

Price depends on the accuracy you want to achieve.  All this is from a
Garmin and Lowrance electronics reps.

Neill