Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 19:29:38 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        sbabkin@dcn.att.com, tlambert@primenet.com, jdn@acp.qiv.com, blkirk@float.eli.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

As Simon Shapiro wrote...

> On 03-Mar-98 Wilko Bulte wrote:

> > Hear hear. RAID parity is also done in hardware these days. Mostly for
> > speed reasons. A second reason to go for a standalone RAIDbox is of
> > course
> > the clustering/multi-host thingy. Backplane RAID is IMHO more for
> > low(er)-end solutions.
>
> Where does that leave kernel RAID?  I like controller level RAID because:
>
> a.  Much more flexible in packaging;  I can use of-the shelf disks in
>     off-the-shelf cases if I choose to).

Assuming *good* drives, with *good* firmware. This is as you know not as
obvious as it sounds ;-)

> b.  In the case of a DPT, you get better performance and better
>     reliability, as I have three busses to spread the I/O across, and three
>     busses to take fatal failures on.

Yep. Apart from that customer that had a 3 channel Mylex but used only one
to attach drives to. Wanted to save on the hot-plug case for the drives.
Well, never mind... You can guess what has happened. 3 channel is the bare
minimum IMO.

> > This is probably true. You also want to realise that the early production
> > units of a given drive model tend to have substantially lower MTBFs. It
> > seems when manufacturing plants get the 'feel' for producing a specific
> > model MTBF gets better.
>
> I think the focus has to change:
>
> *  We used to do RAID to protect from hardware failure disrupting service.
>    In the face of O/S and firmware volatility and buginess, this is absurd;

? I don't quite follow you I think. We *still* do RAID to avoid service
disruption.

> I think the focus changed from operational feature to insurance policy.

Like going bankrupt or collide in midair in case of an aircraft tracking
system.

> Risk management is something not too many of us is any good at (count the
> number of times you/I/we delivered a project on time.
>
> What does it all mean?  I dunno.  I leave it to the scientists to ponder.

Hm.
---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --