Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 09:46:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Alain FAUCONNET <af@biomath.jussieu.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD vs Linux

On Wed, 22 May 1996, Alain FAUCONNET wrote:
> Here is my very subjective (of course) contribution:

Of course. :)

> * Integration with the DOS/Win world: Linux +10, FreeBSD -10

This isn't a FreeBSD vs. Linux comparison.  This really depends on your
DOS/Windows machines.  pcnfsd and samba run on both systems.

Mounting NT/95 shares and Netware volumes is a different story, but you
didn't mention those.

> * Integration with the Unix world: Linux -10, FreeBSD +10

Again, this isn't a Linux vs. FreeBSD issue.  I would say that out of the
box, FreeBSD has a slight advantage, but Linux can be just as capable.

> * Availability of pre-compiled binaries and ports for non-commercial software:
> 			Linux +10, FreeBSD 0

Nope, FreeBSD kicks ass here.  Compared to ALL Linux distributions,
FreeBSD may come out lower, but I'm pretty sure that FreeBSD vs. any
single Linux distribution we have more.  (Satoshi, commit my pine port.:)

> * Availability of commercial software: Linux +10, FreeBSD -5

Native?  Most of the FreeBSD stuff says 'BSDI' but considering that
Linux covers pretty large ground from distribution to distribution
I think we can count BSDI as 'native'.

We've got Linux binary compatibility, so that narrows the gap a bit more.

> * Organization of releases, ease of upgrade: Linux -5, FreeBSD +10

I don't see how Linus does it.

> * Size of the "supporting, using and contributing masses": Linux +10,
> 			FreeBSD 0

You've the same chance in getting something included in any random
Linux dist as you do with FreeBSD.  Slapping a .lsm in a tar.gz and saying
you've contributed to Linux isn't saying much.  I'm sure both groups
are willing to incorporate contributed stuff it it makes sense.

Lower standards != more open.

> My laptop (mostly stand-alone, some FTP, telnet generally through PPP)
> runs  Linux  and  I  probably  will  stick to it. My main desktop work
> machine  (tightly  integrated into our network, heavy use of NFS) runs
> FreeBSD    now,    and    I'm    much   happier   than   with   Linux.

I don't think I would have a problem using Linux if the situation and
application made sense to do so, but I have yet to run into one of those.

I've got a friend thats running news on a Linux box and will probably
break into top 50 in the Frenix1000 this month.  Could FreeBSD do the
same thing?  Yes.  Should he be running FreeBSD?  Nope, he's better
off sticking with what he's got.  He has enough to worry about without
having to retweak his OS and inn.

Personally, my goal is to get as many funky and diverse operating systems
and machines as I can.  I've got SunOS, FreeBSD, and NetBSD so far.
I'm working on getting a 2 machine VMS cluster working.  Of course,
for the real job, I'm going to use whatever OS is best for the job.
(Hopefully I won't fall victem to this `all the world's a nail` line
of thinking.)

Have a good one.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|