Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 21:13:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jeff <jeff@CC602670-A.flrtn1.occa.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        iratus@home.com
Subject:   Security

Hello-I realize this may not be the appropriate list but I am
a little confused at this point-I use cable modem to assess the
internet. I have disabled inetd as well as portmap and nfs services
and have only xntpd running in the background. This is a single
machine on which I run both my school work (which is not critical)
and my business (legal research which is both critical and must
be protected from intrusion) and as yet have no evidence of intrusion.
Still I need to KNOW that I have maxed out the available protection.
I am considering running a basic firewall using ipfw which I think needs
natd also. I can follow directions and although I don't program I am able to
do most of the basic buuilding and installing of the software. Basic problem is
I can't seem to find an explanation 1) how the parts fit together and
2) how to do the basic configuration, especially the rule set needed. Any
pointers or any info at all for that matter, on these two points will be greatlyappreciated. Thanks in advance- Jeff Phillips