Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 12:30:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions), Greg@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com, Lehey@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com
Subject:   Re: Recovering vinum Volume

Greg Lehey wrote,
> On Monday,  1 November 1999 at 20:52:39 -0500, Crist J. Clark wrote:
[snip]
> > but I'm not sure how to get at it. A 'stop' and 'start' does not
> > seem to fix it, and anything stronger than that has foreboding
> > warnings in the manpages and could cause me to lose the data. I'd
> > like to be sure of what to try before I do this.
>
> You don't give the exact commands.  What does 'vinum start
> scsivol.p0.s1' say?  If that doesn't work, I have deep magic which
> will, but I don't want to use it indiscriminately.

Well, just doing,

# vinum start scsivol.p0.s1
scsivol.p0.s1 is already up
# vinum start scsivol.p0.s0
# vinum start scsivol.p0.s2

Seems to be not-so-deep magic that works. I had just been doing,

# vinum stop
# vinum start

And making the assumption that 'vinum start' was pretty much identical
to what you recommend that I do. That is, I figured a 'vinum start'
went through and tried to start each subdisk individually. I was
mistaken.

Reviewing the vinum(8) manpage, specifically the details on the
'start' command, there are a number of bullets that discuss what
happens to a subdisk when the start command is issued for it, and the
subdisk is in a given state. There is no mention of what happens to a
'crashed' disk. That might have been helpful. I am not exactly sure
how the documentation could have gotten the point that 'vinum start'
is not identical to starting each object individually. Maybe it is
just me.

Thanks for the help. Prompt and to the point as usual.