Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:22:48 +0200
From:      Cynic <cynic@mail.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.3, RedHat 6.2, NT 5, WINS

Hi there,

I'm new to samba, and would like to know whether the environment
I set up is sane, and/or when it can be made more efficient. Plus
I have couple of other questions. TIA.

I have three SMB servers (all samba) on a heterogenous network
consisting of four segments. Two segments contain only a single
RH6.2 server each (samba-2.0.6), the other two segments are
populated by win9x and NT5 workstations, plus one FreeBSD 4.3 box
(samba-2.2). I wanted to see the RH servers in win32 machines'
"Network Neighborhood"s; to achieve this, I enabled the WINS server
functionality in one of the RHs' nmbd, and set the other values
accordingly.

FreeBSD: inet x.y.143.102 netmask 0xfffffff0 broadcast x.y.143.111
        workgroup = WGRP
        os level = 64
        preferred master = True
        local master = Yes
        domain master = False
        wins server = x.y.139.4

RedHat: inet addr:x.y.139.4  Bcast:x.y.139.7  Mask:255.255.255.248
        workgroup = WGRP
        os level = 65
        preferred master = yes
        local master = yes
        domain master = yes
        wins support = yes

(The other RH box is irrelevant so far, I leave it alone for the
moment.)

So, I guess my question is: is this actually the way I should go?

Also, where can I set how often the WINS server (if I got it right
and this is the way it works) recollects the browsing list? It haven't
updated "server string" of the FBSD box for at least six hours now.
(Without WINS, any config changes on the samba server were immediately
visible.)

Another question: the FreeBSD box has the [Printers] service disabled,
but it shows up in the machine's share listing anyway. Why?

cynic@mail.cz