Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 01:04:40 -0400
From:      Ron Steele <ron@dc.infi.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is XDM in /etc/ttys a Bad Thing?

It's a control issue.  As long as everything is working perfectly, XDM is
just fine.  If trouble
starts to rear it's ugly head, XDM can make it less apparent and/or harder
to fix.  I guess I
am a control freak, but I like to see the messages printed on the console
when the system
boots, and I don't mind typing xinit at all.  Also, if X crashs you still
have a login.  If you change
video hardware, you can boot into your normal shell and fix things up so X
works again.  etc.

On a related subject, I have never found a need/use
for startx either, it just seems like another needless layer of indirection.

Ron