Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 1995 07:07:30 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support charges ( was Re: SUP target for -STABLE...)

> I think this is the crux of the problem. If you have a real support
> organization, they will soon INSIST that THEY have control of THEIR
> source tree. Once they implement a fix, it would have to become mainstream.
> New code entering the tree would be required to pass significant testing, etc

Well, I think it's less a matter of "INSIST" and more a matter of
"NEED".  Once the organization is truly on the hook to provide a
product who's stability and reliability is a known quantity (inasmuch
as such can ever be known) then yes, it's going to have to have a lot
more control over what goes in and what doesn't.  It simply won't be
able to exist otherwise since it couldn't deliver a guaranteed
response time with something that was constantly shifting under its
feet.

However, as you suggest, I don't see this as much different than our
current STABLE branch scenario with all changes having to be approved
by one person (David) and a very tight degree of control being exerted
over it.  Nobody has screamed about STABLE being unable to co-exist
with the current volunteer org and I'd say that it's more likely that
the volunteer org would be quite happy to have the rather constricting
and less-fun-and-more-business responsibility for STABLE go elsewhere.
The real joy has always been in hacking current where ideas and
general progress are less restricted.

This doesn't mean that STABLE would be hidden from the world, and I'd
say that the snapshots and releases of it would still go out just as
regularly as they do now.

					Jordan