Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 1995 19:37:50 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        frederic@parc.xerox.com (Ron Frederick)
Cc:        multimedia@star-gate.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nv and cuseeme mode

> As far as I have been told, CUSeeMe is only capable of coping with sizes
> 160x120 and 320x240. This isn't something I have control over in nv. The only
> way to make it work with PAL inputs, or other inputs that do not match one of
> its supported sizes, is to actually take the incoming image and crop or
> rescale it to one of the supported sizes before it is encoded.
>
> No patch or workaround to this problem is available at this time.

Right. What I did was to modify the "meteor_grab.c" sources to always
return a NTSC geometry. Cropping within nv is probably more portable.

BTW, is CUSeeme black&white only ?

> > * the incoming packet type in CUSeeMe_Decode is seen as 256 instead of
> >   1. Swapping the bytes makes the rest of the code be called, but
> >   evidently there are other parts of the code where endiannes is
> >   important.
> >
> This is a known bug. There's also another endian bug in the decode routine
> which causes it to display a distorted image, with alternating pixels swapped.
> Patches for both of these are below:

Thanks for the patches. One comment, the large tables used in the
code *might* be initialized at run time depending on the endiannes
of the system. Probably easier to maintain.

Satoshi, could you please update the port of nv with the patches from
Ron ?

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/