Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 01:14:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        cyouse@artemis.syncom.net (Charles Youse)
Cc:        bakul@torrentnet.com, joelh@gnu.org, dchapes@ddm.on.ca, rminnich@Sarnoff.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improvemnet of ln(1).

> > For interactive use, alias ln to `ln -w' to warn you.  If you
> > change the default behavior of ln, you *will* break scripts.
> > Unlike editors, ln is more likely to be used in scripts than
> > interactively (well, it is so for most people).
>
> I fail to see how.  An extra line output to stderr is going to break
> scripts?  Can you provide an example?

# call subscript, save all output... a successful subscript will produce
# no output...
OUT=/tmp/out.$$
subscript > $(OUT} 2>&1

# postprocess output to look for errors, warnings...
	echo "The following failures occurred while processing subscript:"
	echo "-----------------------------------------------------------"
	cat ${OUT}
	echo "-----------------------------------------------------------"
	rm ${OUT}
	exit 1
fi

> > Bottom line: backward compatibility is a good program design.
>
> Well, not always.  Compare Windows/DOS.

That's OS design, not program design.  Most code can be compiled on
Windows/DOS, if only because, by definition, good program design means
the code is portable to diverse platfroms, including Windows/DOS.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.