Date:      Wed, 5 Dec 2001 20:25:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Owner of many system processes <william@hq.newdream.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: (WOT) Re: the best edited picture ever

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Owner of many system processes wrote:

> Colin Faber wrote:
>
> > Another reason to moderate this list.
>
> i agree. please, please, pretty please can we have a moderated list?
> i'm on this list because i like to keep up with security related stuff,
> not because i like getting lots of extra unrelated email.  i realize
> moderation is a PITA for whoever has to be the moderator, but i'm sure
> some folks would be willing to volunteer for this task.

the real issue is that there's just enough volume on this list to make it
difficult to moderate at worst, and time consuming at best. of course,
some mailing lists (bugtraq and incidents on securityfocus.com come to
mind immediately) benifit very heavily from this. the difference, i think
is that both of those lists would normally have a MUCH worse sig/noise
ratio, if they were not moderated (bugtraq, the last i heard, had around
30,000 subscribers..)  currently, the sig/noise ratio of freebsd-security
is just about right.. that is, for me.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche