Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:51:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      freebsd@digistar.com
To:        Undisclosed recipients: ;
Subject:   data buffers, disk i/o      jsb

hi,

Is there a compile-time option that I can compile into the kernel to
improve disk caching/buffering?

I'm new to the list; if I'm in the wrong list, my apologies.

My concern/question is I have recently put together a 2.2.8 test server
and noticed that disk access is not up to expectations and I am looking
for a way to remedy it.

For example, when doing a du or a find across a single slice, the disk is
physically accessed every time I du or find.  I had expected the first
find or du access to read and buffer the first pass, and the second find
or du to read from the disk cache or buffer.  It seems like there's a lot
of wasted disk i/o when it could be avoided by reading from the disk
cache.

Also, if I boot from the boot floppy for installtion and install the ports
collection, the install moves at a much faster pace, like 15K/s.  If I
install the ports collection after the install is completed (booting from
the hard disk) the install takes FOREVER, like 2K/s and there is a HUGE
amount of disk access.

Is there a compile-time option that I can compile into the kernel to
improve disk caching/buffering?

Thanks!