Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:39:14 +0400
From:      Andrew Kartashov <andrew@gagarinclub.ru>
To:        sheldonh@uunet.co.za, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Fwd: [Fwd: Problem.]]

>> About two days ago something happened and
>> the next failures appeared:
>> When try to type "man":
>> "/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Cannot open "/usr/lib/libc.so.3""
>> I reinstall the /libexec/rtld-elf and /lib/libc, but it didn't
>> help.
>> My version is FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE #3
>> Plus when I try to login as different user I get the next message
>> (after typing the password) : "Cannot find root directory".

>  What does this command tell you about the mounted filesystems:
>
>          mount
>
>  It looks like your /usr partition isn't mounted.
>
>  Look at your /var/run/dmesg.boot boot probe messages and see if there's
>  anything in there about a failure to detect one of your disks.
>
>  Did you perhaps install a new disk recently? Maybe you need to make
>  apprpriate changes in /etc/fstab ?
>
>  Ciao,
>  Sheldon.

Thank you very much for the reply.
But the problem is not so easy to solve.
I would be very glad if you could suggest
something else. I attach the /etc/fstab and /var/run/dmesg.boot files,
but I think they would not help you.

I can add to my words, that it happened, when I was trying
to install ftp server, maybe it would help you. And I'm able
to login as "root", I can't login as any other user.

Thank you,
    Andrew Kartashov.