Date:      Thu, 04 Feb 1999 18:53:10 -0700
From:      Emmanuel Gravel <chemtechweb@psn.net>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PS/2 ports on a Dell Dimension XPS R450

Bill Paul wrote:

> > I just got this machine, never had a problem installing and finding
> > the PS/2 port on other computers, but for some reason, this one
> > doesn't find it.  I'm still pretty much a newbie at this.  I have
> > FreeBSD 2.2.7 release CD's from last October.
>
> It would help if you had a newer release. I don't know exactly what
> the problem is here.

I'll try to get the machine online and CVSup 2.2.8.  Can you tell me
what these messages mean, though? (from my last EMail):

psm0: current command byte:0047
kbdio: TEST_AUX_PORT status:00fa
kbdio: DIAGNOSE status:0055
kbdio: TEST_KBD_PORT status:00fa
psm: keyboard port failed
psm0: the aux port is not functioning (250).
psm0 not found at 0x60

Apart from the obvious, of course...  Do the status codes indicate
anything useful? I've called Dell to figure out if they had done
anything wierd with the setup of their PS/2 ports on this model of
computer, but the support staff on phone didn't have a clue.  I'm
still waiting for an EMail from their online support staff.

BTW, I've just been told by a SCO guru that there may be problems
on systems that have both PS/2 ports and USB ports (which this system
has).  That might help to identify how to solve this problem.  Any
ideas?

Thanks for your help on this issue, and hope this info was of use...

> > It's a Linksys LNE100TX.  Of course, it's PnP and I don't know if I
> > can disable the PnP ability.
>
> Argh. Stop stop. The pain. For the umpity umpth time: Plug & Play (tm)
> ISA devices are different from 'plug & play' PCI devices. There is no
> plug & play setting to disable on a PCI card: PCI devices are
> inherently
> 'plug and play' because the PCI BIOS configures them for you. That's
> the way they work: it's not an option you can turn on and off.

Sorry...  I remember hearing about this distinction now.  My bad...

> The LinkSys LNE100TX _is_ supported, just not by the release of
> FreeBSD that you have. You need the pn driver. You can download the
> driver from http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/PNIC but you have to compile
> a new kernel image to use it. The alternative is to wait until the
> next 3.x release comes out, which should be fairly soon.

Thanks for the info!  I'll get the driver and recompile the kernel.
This is DEFINITELY good news (stops me from having to do another 45
minute ride to get to Fry's :)

As for the rest of the info, thanks a lot!  It helps me to know what
I have and how it compares.  That's all I really need, an average
10/100 card that's fairly inexpensive.  This isn't going to be a
production server anyway, just a workstation...