Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 20:23:55 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Request for tech review: half of FreeBSD book

Hello,

For those who haven't heard my occasional panicked gasps for freedom
on -chat, I'm writing a book on FreeBSD.  It's called "Absolute BSD",
and is due for publication roughly around BSDCon 2002.  There's a
signed contract and everything, so it's pretty much a guaranteed
thing.

I'm looking for a couple brave souls who would be willing to be
technical reviewers.

I have plenty of people who are tracking down "this sentence no verb"
and "what dictionary did you find *this* word in?" errors.  What I
need are a couple of experienced sysadmin/developer types who can
comment on the technical accuracy, before I send it to the publisher.

The target audience is people who have basic UNIX familiarity.  I
don't cover cd, ls, chmod, and friends.  I do cover FreeBSD-specific
issues, and go into depth on securing your system, providing network
services, tweaking the kernel, and so on.

The section I have ready for review is about 80,000 words.  This is
only a second draft -- there's rough bits here and there, I'm sure.
But there's no point in polishing incorrect text.

There's another 60,000-70,000 words coming, once I translate my
brained-by-falling-masonry chicken-scratch into English.  I'd ask you
to review that as well, hopefully by the end of August.

I'll be happy to credit the reviewers in the book, of course, and send
you a copy.  Since freelance writers make only slightly more than
migrant farm workers, that's about it. :(

So, if you're a sysadmin who likes to be pendantic, do please drop me
a line!

Thanks,
Michael

--