Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 09:33:04 -0400
From:      Ryan Cutter <rcutter@ctgusa.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD boot problem

Hi all,

        I've got a PC at home that is running Windows on one partion (@700
Megs) and FreeBSD on the other (@400 Megs).  Just a few days ago, I
installed Windows NT to take the place of Windows 3.1.  While I had 3.1,
FreeBSD worked fine, but now with NT, it can't boot up.  When I try to boot
BSD, the ususal script goes by, but about 20 seconds into it, I get the
following error just after it says "Automatic Reboot in progress":

             Fatal Trap 12:page fault while in kernel mode

             fault virtual address           =0x24
             fault code                      =supervisor read, page not present

        There is some more info about the instruction pointer, code
segement, etc..
I've heard that BSD has trouble running when a 32-bit OS is in the DOS
partition.  I've got 16 Megs of RAM, so I don't think it's a memory problem,
but right now I'm lost.
Any suggestions?

                                                Thanks in advance,

                                                Ryan Cutter