Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:07:13 +0800
From:      ke han <ke.han@redstarling.com>
To:        Martin Miedema <martin.miedema@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel 64bit / AMD 64 bit advantage

Generally speaking, mail and file server are not RAM intensive.  A 32
proc can directly address 4GB RAM (2**32).  FreeBSD allows you to
address more than 4GB on a 32 bit proc but limited to 4GB max per
process.  The actual per process limit will be a bit less, I think.
A 64 bit proc can get you 2**64 bits of directly addressable RAM and
therefore a much higher per process setting.  But if your aren't
investing in huge amounts of RAM, you are not getting much benefit
from 64 over 32 bit proc.
Anyway, there is no benefit to running a mail or file server on 64
bit process ors unless you must have more than 4GB total diectly
addressable RAM or any single process must get near the 4GB threshold.
32 vs 64 bits does not give you any raw performance boost for most
apps.  The exception are mathematically intensive apps which would
benefit from handling very large integers or floats as 64 bits in one
go instead of breaking down into more than one process cycle to push
through the same numbers.  A mail or file server does no come close
to needing this kind of 64 bit math.
A mail and file server is Hard drive and network intensive, NOT RAM
intensive.
Spend your money on things like Hardware RAID and redundant power
supplies, not 64 bit over 32 bits.
have a good day, ke han