Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 16:01:42 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Robert Backhaus" <Robbak@Comnorth.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: downloading ports

> From: "Robert Backhaus" <Robbak@Comnorth.com.au>
> Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:48:00 +1000
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

First, GIMP is dependent on several other ports, in particular, GTK,
the Gimp Toolkit. You can find dependencies in the Makefile. You will
need both the things in build-depends and run-depends to build and run
the code. Be sure to do a 'make clean' after installing any port to
release disk space! If space is REALLY tight, delete the distribution
files from /usr/ports/distfiles/[...], but that is a last resort since
it can be painful to download them again, but you can delete the old
versions of the distribution files.

You can deal with partition size problems by simply moving the ports
tree to another partition and symlinking it to /usr/ports/.

I do this on my laptop with an 'ln -s /scratch/ports /usr/ports'. Of
course, you need to have already created /scratch/ports. This allows
you to "grow" a partition without the pain of moving everything out of
the partition, re-sizing, and putting it all back. I do the same with
the systems sources (/usr/src) and objects (/usr/obj).

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)