Date:      Fri, 2 May 2014 08:50:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Craig Yoshioka <craigyk@me.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with chown as root on nfs4 export

Craig Yoshioka wrote:
>=20
> > From what I was told, trying a uid string is only a fallback
> > scenario for the client.  Instead, it turns out root (uid 0) was
> > improperly triggering a conditional that mapped it to nobody on
> > maproot exports.  I just tried a fixed version and it works now.
>=20
> Nevermind, I spoke too soon.  I hadn=E2=80=99t properly cleared the effec=
t of
> setting:
>=20
> echo N >/sys/module/nfs/parameters/nfs4_disable_idmapping
>=20
> but just to confirm, setting the above in linux clients does cause
> their SETATTR calls to pass the username instead of the uid.
>  Unfortunately, this setting is not the default.
>=20
Could you please test the attached patch?
After booting a kernel with the patch, you will need to:
sysctl vfs.nfsd.enable_stringtouid=3D1

With the patch + sysctl, the server should accept the numeric string.

If you can't test the patch, please email me, since I need to get
it tested quickly to get it in 9.3.

Thanks for reporting this, rick