Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 19:28:15 -0800
From:      Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange networking problem

I have a FreeBSD 2.1.6 web server with about 20 virtual domains
(running apache).

I needed to feed ethernet to a customer in the building, so I added another
ethernet card to the box.

   I have a static route in our gateway router routing his network to
   the ethernet address of the freebsd box - 140.174.204.90.

   140.174.204.90 ovation.via.net
              .91 start of virtual domains
               .
               .
               .

After a week or so, something wierd happened. Traceroutes that had previously
been reporting .90 as the address for the box started reporting some other
address that was aliased to the 140.174.204.90 ethernet interface.

Why do I care? Well the address it was reporting back belonged to a virtual
web site we host that served up links to adult sites. Our ethernet customer
was *not* amused ^).

If I was forwarding traffic to .90, why would it start reporting back to
traceroutes as .101 (or something else)?

-joe