Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 2002 10:45:14 -0400
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        "fozekizer" <fozekizer@attbi.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: samba

At 02:53 2002/04/14 -0500, fozekizer wrote:
>i'm new to samba having just installed it. i am having problems accessing
>my shared drives on the bsdbox from win2k...either it can't find the
>drives or doesn't even attempt to.
>what needs to be done to win2k or bsd to allow access? i'm in need also of
>a good freebsd tutorial on samba if anyone has one.

Chances are you didn't uncomment encrypt passwords in smb.conf  and/or add
the Win2k user to smbpasswd.

I have a page, designed for Linux newbies--I make NO guarantee about its
security, I only use it on occasion on a home network behind a firewall.
You can ignore the stuff about ipchains and tables, as that's Linux
specific, but the other stuff might be of some use.  (It also has a link to
the online O'Reilly Book)
It also gives a bit more explanation of how to add the user to smbpasswd, etc.

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/samba.html

HTH
Scott Robbins