Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 14:00:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/35649: mount_smbfs(8) page: "See ./examples/dot.nsmbrc for details."

The following reply was made to PR docs/35649; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To: Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 23:58:06 +0200

 On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 11:20:01PM -0800, Boris Popov wrote:
 > The following reply was made to PR docs/35649; it has been noted by GNATS.
 >
 > From: Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
 > To: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
 > Cc: Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
 > Subject: Re: docs/35649: mount_smbfs(8) page: "See ./examples/dot.nsmbrc for
 >  details."
 > Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 13:17:40 +0600 (ALMT)
 >
 >  On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Peter Pentchev wrote:
 >
 >  > >  I have /usr/src/contrib/smbfs/examples/dot.nsmbrc on my system.
 >  > >  It should probably get installed to /usr/share/examples though.
 >  >
 >  > OK, how about the following patch?
 >  >
 >  > However, this includes a patch to src/contrib/smbfs/, which is not
 >  > something we should really be doing.  This message is CC'd to
 >  > Boris Popov, the author of the FreeBSD smbfs code; Boris, could you
 >  > look at this PR and see if you like the proposed change to
 >  > the mount_smbfs.8 manual page?  I know that this will probably require
 >  > a patch to the port, since it either does not install this sample
 >  > file, or at least does not install it under /usr/share/examples/
 >  > However, the original poster's claim that ./examples/dot.nsmbrc is
 >  > not quite what the manual page should mention sounds about right for me :)
 >
 >  	Yes, this path is somewhat incorrect and update to mount_smbfs.8
 >  is required. However an example of dor.nsmbrc file already installed as
 >  /etc/nsmb.conf. The syntax of both files are the same with exception that
 >  system-wide configuration file will override equal settings in the per
 >  account dot.nsmbrc file.

 Well, I have to admit that I never noticed that a sample file was
 actually installed; however, there are two problems I can see with
 that.  First, /etc/nsmb.conf is not exactly the same as dot.nsmbrc;
 second, /etc/nsmb.conf is not exactly usable as a reference for
 normal users, should they want to do per-user settings - it is installed
 with 0600 permissions, making it quite hard to read :)

 I still think that an /usr/share/examples/smbfs/dot.nsmbrc or similar
 is in order; there already is some sample smbfs configuration in
 /usr/share/examples/, although only related to printing.

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
 When you are not looking at it, this sentence is in Spanish.