Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 1997 17:03:39 +1100
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        eivind@dimaga.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NULL as ((void*)0) (was Re: strlen() question)

On Feb 02, 1997 at 03:44:38PM, Bruce Evans wrote:
> >[1] There has come up one serious objection here, relating to C++.  If this
> >objection is correct, it mean that the proposal absolutely should be
> >dropped.  Besides, nobody but me seems to be in favour, and it isn't
> >important to me, so...
>
> NULL could be ifdefed for c++.  However, gcc seems to accept
> `char *p = (void *)0;' at all warning levels.
> I don't know C++ well enough to tell if this is a bug.

Hard to say. If some other constant or pointer type is accepted
then it certainly is. C++ provides no automatic type conversion
of void* to any other pointer type, which of course is a feature
and not a bug. :)

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/