Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:52:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xterm config short question

Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se> wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > Where do I change X's default behaviour so that every xterm is started as
 >
 > xterm -fg yellow -w 20 -bg black -rv
 >
 > withou me having to enter that every time. I have a script for it now,
 > but there must be a better place (a dot-file i my $HOME?)?

Add the following lines to your $HOME/.Xdefaults:

   *VT100.foreground:    yellow
   *VT100.background:    black
   *VT100.reverseVideo:  true

Don't know about the -w option, it doesn't seem to have any
effect on my machine.  Anyway, refer to ``man xterm'' for a
list of all the resource settings.

If there's no .Xdefaults file in your home directory, simply
create one.  If it is not sure, place the following command
at an appropriate place somewhere in your X startup scripts
(executing it multiple times doesn't hurt):

   xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xdefaults

That's it.  I'd recommend against using an alias or a wrapper
shell script.  That's not the way it is meant to work.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)