Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 96 14:40:08 +0200
From:      gwk@crmunich0.cray.com (Georg-Wilhelm Koltermann)
To:        mec204@crazy.fe.up.pt
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP: IDE CDROM DRIVE

**CC: list trimmed, no cross posts, please **
> Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 11:51:51 +0100 (WET DST)
> From: Jorge Goncalves <mec204@crazy.fe.up.pt>
> Sender: owner-hackers@freebsd.org

> When I bought my computer it came with a SoundBlaster 16 installed and a
> IDE CDROM (the CDROM came with the SB and is a CR-581) connected to the
> sound card.
>
> The problem is that the kernel doesn't recognize the CDROM which is
> connected to port 1E8H and uses the IRQ 11.
>
> I really need to get my CDROM working so, please, if anyone as an hardware
> configuration like this plese, please, please mail me...
>
> My hardware:
>
> > Pentium 100MHz
> > 16MB RAM
> > 2*1039MB Quantum Fireball (Connected to the first IDE port and one of
>   them is the master and the other the slave.)
> > Trident 9440 1Mb
> > SoundBlaster 16 connected with factory settings
> > ISDN card (which can't be used trough FreeBSD because it is a
>   Portuguese developed card :-( )
>

> Again, please, I need help!
>
> Jorge Goncalves

Jorge,

0x1e8 isn't among the standard controller addresses, you'll at least
have to boot with -c and change the kernel's idea of where to find
WDCs.

Also it'd be nice to know which version of FreeBSD you are trying.
ATAPI support was improved significantly over time.

Georg-W. Koltermann, gwk@cray.com