Date:       Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:56:19 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple PCI busses?

[Catching up on old mail]
On 2000-Sep-23 08:08:22 -0400, David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net> wrote:
>Anyone have any idea what the upper end of thruput is?  I'm sure a few
>thousand packets per second is doable, but how abot the tens of
>thousands?

Last February I did some experimenting using a P-133 box and could
route just over 10,000 (small) packets/sec (CPU limited) between
different LANs.  The throughput testing gave me pretty much wire
speed[1].  This was using a couple of Intel Pro/100+ cards connecting
to 100baseTX half-duplex hubs.  Based on this, I'd say you'd be
looking at hundreds of thousands of packets/sec on a high-end
processor.  Your overall throughput would come down to bus bandwidth
(PCI and RAM).

>  Is this an area where a big cache on a
>xeon processor would help more than extra CPU cycles?

As long as routing code, device driver code and your routing tables
fit into the cache, you should be OK.  Cache is pretty much irrelevant
to the actual packets you are routing - the CPU only needs to read the
destination IP address out of the header once for each packet (and do
a few mbuf management accesses).  It primarily just gets in the way
of the PCI DMA :-).

[1] Given a decent NIC, the CPU load is pretty much determined by the
    packet rate, independent of the packet size.

Peter