Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 08:51:42 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Michelle Brownsworth <michelle@eugene.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, unsafe at any speed <erich@ucsd.edu>
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA startup question

> Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:29:50 -0600
> From: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
>
> In message <200106180113.f5I1D1c25414@ptavv.es.net> "Kevin Oberman" writes:
> : The "Code nnn not found" and Code Unknown ignored messages indicate that the
> : dump of the card's CIS included some unknown type codes. The messages are
> : generated by pccardd. I have a suspicion that there may be a problem with the
> : address where pccardd looks in iomem for the CIS data.
>
> Usually when the card fails to probe, and dumpcis looks odd, these
> messages indicate a big problem.  It could also be a CIS type that
> pccardd/c doesn't grok.

Yes, but in this and other cases (such as my Xircom RE-100), I get
these errors from dumpcis, but the card does probe and works fine. The
errors are only an annoyance, but I wonder what is causing them?

I had originally assumed that the problem was simply unknown codes,
but I wonder about their possible significance. And I have seen one
claim that adjusting the io memory mapping could make them
disappear. (I must admit that this sounds odd and the card DOES work
and the odds of a random series of values being interpreted as a CIS
tuple and not leading off to limbo is pretty unlikely.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)