Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 08:14:09 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   What the competition'' is up to - just FYI.

From: Red Hat Software <redhat@redhat.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
Subject: COMMERCIAL: Red Hat Linux 2.0 available via FTP!  100% ELF!
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 12:21:40 GMT

Red Hat Software is pleased to announce the availability of

                 Red Hat Commercial Linux 2.0

the latest and greatest from the zany folks at Red Hat Software.  Come
see us at UNIX Expo September 19th through 21st.  We will be demoing
all our latest stuff.  We will also be showing various Red Hat tools
running on an Alpha!

1. Introduction				Red Hat Software
2. Features				(800) 454-5502
3. RPM Packaging System			(203) 454-5500
4. FTP Availability			info@redhat.com
6. CD-ROMs

*** Introduction

Red Hat Commercial Linux 2.0 (Red Hat 2.0) is a complete rewrite of
the acclaimed Red Hat Mother's Day distributions.  It is a completely
ELF based system -- If you have been putting off the upgrade to ELF,
or have been having trouble upgrading a piece at a time, Red Hat 2.0
can save you the trouble.

Four installation innovations make Red Hat 2.0 the easiest Linux to
install ever.  Our new graphical installation mode brings you straight
up into X for most of the installation.  Our boot disk creation script
eases selection of the proper boot disk, and it saves your existing
network configuration information and XF86Config so you don't have to
configure TCP/IP or X!  Our FTP install allows you to install simply
by downloading 3 floppy disk images -- the rest is done automatically!
And finally, the installation includes seamless support for PCMCIA
devices -- install Red Hat 2.0 on your laptop as easily as on your
desktop machine!

This will be the last Linux system you ever install.  The new rpm
packaging system is sophisticated enough to allow upgrading to new Red
Hat releases without a reinstalling your system - no partitioning, no
backing up all your files, no headaches.

Also included are all the popular Red Hat graphical control panel
utilities that have simplified system administration for Red Hat
users for over a year.

*** Features

. 100% ELF (with a.out compatibility libraries)
. powerful RPM packaging system
. easy to use GLINT graphical package administration tool
. compliant with version 1.2 of the Linux File System Standard
. graphical installation (text based install also supported)
. FTP installation
. integrated seamless PCMCIA support for laptop installs!
. important new and upgraded packages:
	XFree86 3.1.2
	Apache httpd server
	Perl 5
	Tcl 7.4 / Tk 4.0
	Python 1.2 w/ Tk 4.0 support
	GCC 2.7.0
	Linux kernel 1.2.13
	libc 5.0.9

*** RPM Packaging System

Red Hat 2.0 is built on an entirely new packaging system called RPM.
The rpm system combines features of the Red Hat RPP system and the
BOGUS pms and pm systems, and adds many advanced features of its own,
including smart config file handling across package upgrades,
"shared" file handling, documentation searching support, and package
installation via FTP.  You can install, uninstall, query, verify, and
upgrade individual rpm packages.

A new graphical package management tool called GLINT allows you to
quickly and easily manage and track your system.  Glint is a vast
improvement over our previous Linux Installation Manager (LIM) -- it
is much faster, displays a hierarchy of packages represented by
individual package icons, and has displays progress meters during
installation.

The source packages include pristine, untouched sources, as well as
patches and a control file which defines the building and packaging
process.  This system was conceived and promoted by the BOGUS
distribution development team: Rik Faith, Doug Hoffman, and Kevin
Martin.

We are releasing rpm under the terms of the GPL and we would like to
encourage everyone to use it to package their software.  You can get
rpm separately from Red Hat 2.0 from any of the official Red Hat FTP
mirror sites.

*** FTP Availability

Red Hat 2.0 is available from the following official Red Hat FTP
mirrors.  If you would like to mirror Red Hat at your site, please
send mail to mirror-list@redhat.com for complete instructions.

FTP Site                Directory
========                =========
ftp.pht.com             /pub/linux/redhat
sunsite.unc.edu         /pub/Linux/distributions/redhat
ftp.cms.uncwil.edu      /linux/redhat
ftp.wilmington.net      /linux/redhat
ftp.caldera.com         /pub/mirrors/redhat
ftp.lasermoon.co.uk     /pub/distributions/RedHat
ftp.cc.gatech.edu       /pub/linux/distributions/redhat
uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu  /pub/systems/linux/distributions/redhat

For installation instructions, read the RHCL-Installation-HOWTO,
which can be found in the docs directory.  In short, if you are
doing an ftp install, just get the two ramdisk images, and one
of the boot disk images and follow your instincts...

*** Support and Mailing List

On our web site and official Red Hat mirror sites you will find the
Red Hat FAQ, which probably answers most of your questions.  Check it
out!

If you purchase a Red Hat CD-ROM product you get 30 days of
installation support via email.  If you download Red Hat via FTP you
will have to get support through the Red Hat mailing list.  Everyone
who uses Red Hat should be on the list!  We use the list as a primary
avenue for support, and all our announcements are sent to the list.

in the body of the message:

subscribe redhat-list FirstName LastName

Want even more support?  Get the Red Hat Support Program.  It's a full
support contract along with a year long Red Hat subscription!  See our
web site for complete details.

*** CD-ROMs available from Red Hat Software

For only $49.95, you can get our new 4 CD set!  The four CD's include:

	Red Hat Commercial Linux 2.0
	The Red Hat 2.0 Live Filesystem CD
	A sunsite.unc.edu linux archive
	A tsx-11.mit.edu linux archive

What else do you get for that low-low price?  Support!  We provide 30
days of installation support, along with many other methods of support.

What can you do with the Live Filesystem CD?  Plenty.  Tired of trying
to explain linux to your friends and co-workers?  Install it!  Well,
sort of anyway.  By booting two floppies and using a supported CD-ROM
drive, you can show off the power of linux and X windows right from
the CD.  You can also insert a third floppy to be mounted
automatically to use for storing files.  Quite a nice system.

The Red Hat Users Guide is also available.  It covers all aspects
of installation and administration of your Red Hat system.

The Red Hat Retail Division can be reached at:

phone: (203) 454-5500
       (800) 546-7274
  fax: (203) 454-2582
email: info@acc-corp.com
  www: http://www.acc-corp.com

--
Send comp.os.linux.announce submissions to: linux-announce@news.ornl.gov
PLEASE remember a short description of the software.