Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 22:14:34 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, jb@freebsd.org, eischen@vigrid.com
Subject:   Re: pthreads in -stable

> I bumped the version number because the implementation changed from
> being based on select() to poll().

Hmmm.  Could you perhaps explain to me the potential effects this had
on applications linking with it?  I don't mean to be so obtuse here,
I'm simply trying to determine whether this was a necessary version
bump or if the interface has actually not changed.  If the change is
totally transparent to applications then it's certainly been my
understanding that a revision bump should not take place since such
changes merely represent internal shuffling and the library version
number is for communicating interface changes to external client apps.

> I guess it was worth a try. I wonder if the application is doing something
> illegal. If select() is looping in the -stable version, is it possible
> that the application has somehow closed the pipe that libc_r thread
> uses internally? If you can rebuild libc_r in -stable, check for the
> internal pipe being reported in the exception fd_set.

That's a good point, thanks - I'll check for that.

- Jordan