Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 22:07:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   User auth through database

	Hi again.  Quick question.  Is there a port, or a good tutorial
guide on how to setup a server so that users can get mail but not
actually have a legitimate shell account on the server.  I only want three
actual accounts that can login to the machine through sell and the
console, but I want Qpopper to treat the users as though they actually
had a shell account on the machine.

	Basically what I'm thinking is to use some form of user auth for
the mail services through an SQL database of some kind.  I've seen it
done, but I'm not sure how to do it.  Anyone have any ideas?  Or do I need
to use a different Pop3 mail server port to make use of this SQL database
auth method I'm looking at doing?

	Also, if I want users to have to auth to send mail, can I setup
sendmail to use this same database, or do I need to use something else?