Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:26:12 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp/www/whatever mirror

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Gordon Tetlow wrote:

> bluemountain.com has finally scraped together (not really) the hardware to
> make a freebsd mirror. I've installed 4.2-RELEASE on it and am now
> wondering what the next step is to creating an ftp archive (and possibly
> www/cvs/cvsup)? I've got about 100GB of storage (RAID 0+1) hanging off a
> mylex controller for just this purpose. So... now what?

find your closest mirror - i don't recomment hitting ftp.freebsd.org
directly.  then start mirroring using rsync or spegla or mirror.pl
to your local system.

once complete, send more mail to hubs@freebsd.org and/or your
closest domain hostmaster for freebsd.org asking to be added
as ftpX.XX.freebsd.org

i believe the web pages are generated from CVSup, so you'll
need to install and configure that to generate a web mirror.

i would also recommend you install an rsync server for users
(and downstream mirrors) to be able to access your archive.

lastly, i hope you have a big network pipe/budget to keep
up with freebsd package updates.

-jason