Date:      	Wed, 17 Jul 1996 17:50:59 -0400
From:      edward.ing@utoronto.ca
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        info@freebsd.org, support@cdrom.com
Subject:   No info on how to run Configuration Menu from installed BSD, and installing ports software.

re: BSD 2.1, Walnut Creek CD distribution.

I have successfully installed FreeBSD. However, the documentation
provided on the CD-ROM has not given me enough information to do much
further. In trying install the on-line documentation and read it, I
encountered a few problems. I cannot resolve them myself because
the problems relate to accessing the documents required to
resolve the problems. (A chicken-and-egg problem.) Can you provide me
the information to solve the following difficulties?

First, I wanted to reconfigure a few things. Most importantly I wanted
to reconfigure the HTTP documentation facility in order to be able to
read the documentation so that I could fix my own problems. The first
difficulty was that there is no documentation in the files on the
CD-ROM which indicate how I can access the Configuration Menu from
the installed BSD. The second difficulty arose when I booted from the
Installation/boot disk and attempted run the HTTP Docs Menu from the
installation/boot Configuration Menu. The Configuration Menu did not
allow me to do this. The error message read,

	"This opton may not be used until after the system is
installed,"

which is entirely inappropriate because the system is installed.

Please provide me information on how to call up the Configuration Menu
form the installed BSD so that I can make a "post installation"
configuration.

Secondly, failing in this attempt to access the vital HMTL documents, I
attempted to install Netscape as per your instructions in the README.TXT
file on the CD-ROM in order to be able to access the HMTL docs on my
BSD Docs CD. The instructions say explicitly to do the following,

	#cd /usr/ports/net/netscape
	#make all install

Netscape could not be installed as instructed. The error message read
as follows
	"netscape-v112-export.i386-unknown-bsd.tar.Z does not
	 seem to exist on the system
	 Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.netscape.com [... etc.]

Note that the PORTS filesystem is installed under /usr.

I also attempted to install netscape as follows,

	#cd /usr/ports/net/netscape/files
	#make all install

and this seemed to be more productive, except that I got this error

	"/usr: create/symlink failed, no inodes free
	 Jan 20 18:20:08 freebsd /kernel: uid 0 on /usr: out of inodes,"

when Makefile tried to create directories. And because of this, I,
inevitably got the following message when Makefile attempted to do
an install,

	"install: netscape: No such file or directory
	 *** Error code 1."

Please instruct me how to get past these difficulties since it I
cannot get past them myself because I cannot access the documentation
required because of these difficulties.

Thank you,
Edward Ing  (edward.ing@utoronto.ca)