Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 17:25:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Douglas Russell <russelld@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATI Mach64D

Hello happy FreeBSD people....

Last night I put together a new Pentium 150 machine for a friend of mine
with an ATI Mach64D PCI video card.  When we went to install FreeBSD
2.1.0-RELEASE on it, booting from the standard install floppy, as soon as
it gets to the sio (si0?  whetever it is, I don't have anything in front
of me right now), the standard console driver, right after it does the
CPU type determination, the video goes nuts.  It switches to some wild
mode that basically just comes out snow.  I tried another video card (an
old Trident or something, ISA) it worked fine...

Has anyone had this kind of problem before, or any ideas what it might
be?  The motherboard is a Gigabyte, chipset Triton, pipeline cache...
The card is an OEM 64D with 2 megs.  We removed the only other card from
the system (one of my network cards, a 3COM 3c509), and it didn't help.
(Not surprisingly, but worth a shot...)

I figure it must me some kind of strange incompatibility in the sio
console driver.  I'm thinking that if we install the system with another
video card installed, then compile a new kernel using the vt2 console
driver instead, it may work.  On the other hand, maybe that one won't
work either.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.  Please email them to one
of my addresses (preferably the primary one), as I don't regularly
subscribe to the questions list.

Thanks!

Later......						<Doug>

Primary Address :	drussell@internode.net