Date:      Wed, 05 Dec 2001 21:38:25 -0700
From:      Colin Faber <cfaber@fpsn.net>
To:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
Cc:        Owner of many system processes <william@hq.newdream.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (WOT) Re: the best edited picture ever

I understand the issue of people not wanting to have to take on the task
of moderating what goes onto this list;  But in any case there should at
least be strict filters on what gets through which doesn't look like has
been done,

I notice almost on a daily bases (which im sure the rest of you have
also) SPAM on both this list and on the bugs list. Totally unrelated to
the freebsd project..

Solutions suggested on how to correct such problems though the worst
thing that I can think of happening is nothing being done at all.

"

"f.johan.beisser" wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Owner of many system processes wrote:
>
> > Colin Faber wrote:
> >
> > > Another reason to moderate this list.
> >
> > i agree. please, please, pretty please can we have a moderated list?
> > i'm on this list because i like to keep up with security related stuff,
> > not because i like getting lots of extra unrelated email.  i realize
> > moderation is a PITA for whoever has to be the moderator, but i'm sure
> > some folks would be willing to volunteer for this task.
>
> the real issue is that there's just enough volume on this list to make it
> difficult to moderate at worst, and time consuming at best. of course,
> some mailing lists (bugtraq and incidents on securityfocus.com come to
> mind immediately) benifit very heavily from this. the difference, i think
> is that both of those lists would normally have a MUCH worse sig/noise
> ratio, if they were not moderated (bugtraq, the last i heard, had around
> 30,000 subscribers..)  currently, the sig/noise ratio of freebsd-security
> is just about right.. that is, for me.
>
> -------/ f. johan beisser /--------------------------------------+
>   http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
>     "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
>          of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche

" wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Owner of many system processes wrote:
>
> > Colin Faber wrote:
> >
> > > Another reason to moderate this list.
> >
> > i agree. please, please, pretty please can we have a moderated list?
> > i'm on this list because i like to keep up with security related stuff,
> > not because i like getting lots of extra unrelated email.  i realize
> > moderation is a PITA for whoever has to be the moderator, but i'm sure
> > some folks would be willing to volunteer for this task.
>
> the real issue is that there's just enough volume on this list to make it
> difficult to moderate at worst, and time consuming at best. of course,
> some mailing lists (bugtraq and incidents on securityfocus.com come to
> mind immediately) benifit very heavily from this. the difference, i think
> is that both of those lists would normally have a MUCH worse sig/noise
> ratio, if they were not moderated (bugtraq, the last i heard, had around
> 30,000 subscribers..)  currently, the sig/noise ratio of freebsd-security
> is just about right.. that is, for me.

>   http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
>     "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
>          of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche

Colin Faber
(303) 859-1491
fpsn.net, Inc.