Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 22:59:56 -0400
From:      Jim Durham <durham@jjcdurham.com>
To:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Authenticated SMTP for roaming users

On Sunday 07 October 2001 07:12 pm, BSD Freak wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Has anyone been able to setup FreeBSD with sendmail relaying mail for
> users who authenticate to the box.
>
> I have romaing users, that dial up to a varity of ISPs and I have the
> problem of having to change their outgoing mail setting depending on
> where they are going to be.
>
> I certianly do not not desire (or think it would be responsible) to open
> up my SMTP server to the world.
>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check www.sendmail.org for instructions on building sendmail with AUTH. You
will also need cyrus-sasl for authentication. The instruction aren't terribly
clear, but I may be able to answer questions if you get stuck.

You will also need to build a new sendmail.mc file to generate a sendmail.cf
with the new features.

If you have /usr/src loaded, you can also do this with a make buildworld after
modifying in the sendmail stuff. I wish I could remember all the details, but
I'm old! Check on google.com. I was able to figure it out from what was on
sendmail.org and some of the google search results.

-Jim Durham