Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 23:10:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Custom init(8) (and some ideas)

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Jim Shankland wrote:

> Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Dmitrij Tejblum wrote:
> > > Also, (unpacked) .text section of gzipped binaries is not shared among
> > > several copies of same program, like in case of normal program. If I
> > > understand correctly, this is a big problem for Andrzej, since all his
> > > program is crunched together.
> >
> > Yes, it hurts :-). That's why I conducted several tests with making a
> > dynamic crunch, to save at least on libraries. But in reality it proved to
> > take more space in case of minimal system ....
>
> Is all this moot if you don't gzip the binaries (or single, crunched
> binary), but instead install the binaries in an MFS in the kernel,
> then kzip the kernel?  You get the benefit of compression, but the
> uncompress is done once, at boot time, so the text section can still
> be mmap-ed at exec time.  Or does it not work this way?

Ahh, well, the life would be SO easy then... Unfortunately, it takes ca.
1/3 more space that way. And this happens to be too much for 1.44MB floppy
and 8MB RAM. And these constraints I'm going to keep, so it seems I must
live with crunchies for now...

This idea occurred to me some time ago, and the above quote depicts my
(sad) experiences with it.

Andrzej Bialecki