Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 2020 20:38:23 -0400
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+t@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        gecko@freebsd.org
Subject:   Firefox playing videos takes too much CPU

Hello! I noticed recently, how much CPU playing a video takes... A
firefox-process, playing a modest 1080p clip (such as this
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrJY_-BIasY>) for example, will show in
top as taking between 150-160% CPU (and mine are E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz),
with Xorg taking /another/ 30%. If I pause the video, CPU-usage drops
down to single-digits, so it definitely is the playback...

If I download that same video (using youtube-dl), and give it to
mplayer, the playback will only cost about 60% CPU for the mplayer
itself -- plus 20% for the Xorg. Mplayer using the simple "x11"
video-output, nothing particularly fancy. The video card is an old
Radeon (5670/5690/5730).

Is there a good explanation for this discrepancy? Thank you! Yours,

    -mi