Date:      Fri, 05 Sep 2014 12:00:47 +0200
From:      Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <pi@opsec.eu>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ahsay Backup Server software on FreeBSD ?

Op 05-09-14 om 11:39 schreef Kurt Jaeger:
> Hi!
>
> Has anyone experience with this company ?
>
> http://www.ahsay.com/
>
> They provide a software (AhsayOBS) for free, it's the server part
> for a backup infrastructure. They earn money by selling client
> licenses (which cover Exchange, Windows, Notes, databases etc), and support
> FreeBSD on the server. On the server-side they need Java.
>
> Has anyone practical experience with that system ?
>
> --
> pi@opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         6 years to go !

Hello.

We use the server version as our backup server that sits remotely in a
datacentre.
This is on FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE and the user data we put on ZFS datasets
so we can backup that machine with ZFS send to another remote machine.
When we started using the ahsay server we used windows as the OS but
with that we had all kind of troubles. Now we use FreeBSD as the server
OS and we did not have any issue with it till now. (Knock on wood) ....
It has its quirck but when it runs it does the job well. Also the GUI
does not look nice it looks old and dated.

On the client side we only use the windows version. We have several
FreeBSD samba servers that we backup using the windows client.
I have no expierience with the client on FreeBSD.

Also nice is that you can run multiple clients on the same account, so
you do not need extra licenses if you need to backup another server.

regards
Johan Hendriks