Date:      Wed, 05 Jul 2000 19:34:09 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        dan@freebsddiary.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world fails : file exists

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 12:28 PM -0700 2000/7/5, Kent Stewart wrote:
>
> >  That takes care of original files with permission problems. I don't do
> >  make world's. I read where that was a good way to ruin your universe
> >  and started doing buildworlds, creating and installing the kernel,
> >  rebooting to single user mode to do the installworld. The way it was
> >  explained to me was that left you with your original world via
> >  /kernel.old in case something happened.
>
>         Hmm.  Don't you have to make the kernel with different options,
> if you haven't done an installworld yet?  Otherwise, how do you get
> it to recognize the new libraries and other objects that have been
> built with the new sources, but haven't been installed yet?

In the early days of 4.0 this was the suggested mode. Later, comments
were made that it didn't matter which way you did it. What I have
found is that doing a 2nd config, make depend, and make after the
installworld always generates a message that everything is up todate.
The sources are still where the cvsup left them and the config took
them from there. You just don't have modules that agree with the new
kernel until you do the installworld.

>         Also, if an installworld dies in the middle, you'll have an old
> kernel that may be partially compatible with some parts, and a new
> kernel that will be partially compatible with some parts, but either
> way you may have significant breakage.

I've had numerous buildworld's fail but never the installworld. I have
also had a number of kernel errors but they weren't related to the
world. I just like the idea of having a matched set before I start the
installs.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/bomber.jpg