Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 2002 11:14:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PCI brokenness

On 02-Oct-2002 Mark Murray wrote:
>> > I tried this patch, and it made some progress (dmesg included). The
>> > ATA system still seems badly broken, there is a spurious mention of
>> > some kerneldump. I also have no console.
>>
>> Hmm, ata0 may be getting the wrong resources.  Hmm.  Try iwasaki-san's
>> patch to acpi_pcib_* instead and see if it that helps.  Either that or
>> turn off ACPI for the time being.
>
> Iwasaki-San's patch made no difference that I could see. Disabling ACPI
> causes my system to hard-hang during reboot. I might be able to fix that
> by futzing with device.hints, but that took me a whole weekend and a
> reinstall last time I tried. Device.hints is a dangerous thing to play with.

All device.hints should give you is your console back if you are
missing it.  Do you mean hard hangs on reboot such as after you do a
shutdown -r now the system shuts down, tries to reboot, and then just
stays black and never boots?

>> > Perhaps the legacy stuff needs to be backed out or disabled pending fixing?
>>
>> Well, the problem here is that ACPI isn't working, not that legacy is broken.
>> What legacy does is make it so that if we try to use ACPI, we actually rely
>> on it to work.  If we can't get ACPI to work like it is supposed to we need
>> to either fix it or disable it for now.
>
> 22nd September ACPI works. Suspend/resume, power shutdown, etc.

That's like saying that PAM works if all the programs that use PAM
automatically fall back to reading /etc/master.passwd manually and
complaining that people broke things when they removed the ability
to read /etc/master.passwd manually thus revealing the inherent
breakage in PAM.

(Just in hypothetical terms.)

Iwasaki-San's patch adds back in the only part of the extra "bogus"
stuff that legacy took out that could have an effect on your system
with respect to PCI.