Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 10:49:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        james@wgold.demon.co.uk (James Mansion)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: java support under FreeBSD.

> Would it be possible to write a layered filter file system
> and mount it onto some part or parts of the main system so that,
> if I try to stat or open 'foo', and 'foo' does not exist but
> 'foo.class' doesn't, then I see a read-only executable file called
> 'foo', maybe one that has contents '#!/somewhere/java foo.class'
> or therabouts?

The problem is with the iteration of directory contents; this is
why we were talking about globbing in the kernel.  You want to
find 'foo' before 'foo.class' even if 'foo' is later in the path
than a 'foo.class'.

Besides which, even if it were a good idea, it can't be (easily,
at any rate) implemented.

Currently, I don't believe that mounting a NULLFS layer will work
properly; system calls are considered more equal than other VFS
interface consumers -- like the NFS server, or a stacking mount.
This is the fames "layering problems".  One of the biggest areas
of fault is the VOP_LOCK(); the other is VOP_READDIR(); I believe
that the NULLFS mount still fails following Lite2 integration for
reasons of VOP_LOCK/vclean lock flagging (it's calldown instead
of veto, so a "transparent" layer would have to lock against itself,
which fails).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org