Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:13:35 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        adrian@FreeBSD.ORG (Adrian Chadd), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RANDOMDEV inspired realitycheck regarding i386/i486...

In message <200011151739.KAA13021@usr01.primenet.com>, Terry Lambert
writes:

> > 386'en might still have a place for small embedded products but I'm
> > proabably going to be flamed when I say I think FreeBSD-current isn't
> > very suited to "embedded 386 with tiny everything" applications.
>
> That's a problem with FreeBSD-current, not a problem with
> "embedded 386 with tiny everything".
>
> I'm reminded when SVR4s footprint first went to 8M of RAM.
>
> I also find it amusing that I can get an old SVR4.0.2 ES/MP,
> and load it on both SMP boxes, and on 6M 386 boxes, when I
> am quickly becoming unable to do the same for FreeBSD-current.
>
> I guess this is inevitable, as security is increased, since
> the most secure computer is one which doesn't run...

Garfinkel and Spafford write in their book Practical UNIX and Internet
Security that the most secure system is one berried under six feet of
dirt.  Even then tye didn't think it was 100% secure.  :)

If may comment about the 386/486 issue.  I think it would be nice to
continue to support 386/486.  I and and ISP I do work for don't have an
386's in production but we do have a handful of 486's in use -- they
make great firewalls.  I even use a 486DX33 with 20 MB RAM as an X
server.  If we cannot 386/486, however, that would be unfortunate, as
IMO the options for various reasons are inferior.  It all depends on
what our focus should be.

What would really be nice would be some kind of charter or 3 year plan
from CORE that outlines their vision of what they think FreeBSD should
look at that time.  This strawman could be use as a basis of debate to
define what we really want.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC