Date:      19 Jun 2000 14:34:50 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Dan Moschuk <dan@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (2nd iteration) New /dev/(random|null|zero) - review, please

Dan Moschuk <dan@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
> I have a driver for the i82802 chipset (Intel Thermal Noise RNG) that
> needs to be newbus-ified before committing.  Anyone that can help me
> with this, it would be appreciated.

The idea of built-in hardware RNGs bothers me a little. How can the
manufacturer guarantee that all units are perfectly identical and
indistinguishable? Is it conceivable that a hardware RNG might leave
(be it by accident or by design) some kind of fingerprint in its
output that might be detectable if you know what to look for? Reminds
me of Sherlock Holmes comparing typewritten documents to see if they
were produced on the same typewriter.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no