Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 1996 08:52:03 +0000 ()
From:      francis yeung <fyeung@fyeung5.netific.com>
To:        gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
Cc:        bertus%mikom.csir.co.za@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com, questions%freebsd.org@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Subject:   Re: ISDN devices supported?

Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> bertus@mikom.csir.co.za writes:
> > Hi,
> >     I had a look in the code to see which ISDN devices are supported.
> > I must, to my disgust, admit that I failed.  Please could anybody please
> > inform my of the ISDN devices supported by FreeBSD and if possible the
> > supplier as well.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> If you want to stick a card into your box then the only cards which are
> currently supported are ISA cards from Dr. Neuhaus (the so calles Niccy
> cards) or Teles/Creatix in Germany.
>
> You can hook up a TA (aka. ISDN modem) such as the ZyXel 1486DI (?)
> or one from Motorola. Since these hook to the serial port you can handle
> them just like an external modem. Jordan Hubbard is using a setup
> like this with great success.

	I have tried the external modems e.g. 3com, Motorola
	and they all worked fine. But I do like to use an
	internal card (because I hate those bulky AC adaptors).

	However, Motorola also makes an ISA
	card which is the internal card version of the Bitsurfer.
	Have anyone had any experience with this card ? If this
	card uses the similiar AT commands like the external one,
	we should be able to modify the modem interface sequences
	to make it look like a serial port/analog modem .

	US Robotics also makes
	an ISDN ISA card (a little more pricy $389), it claims that
	it supports packet driver. Does anyone ever written a
	FreeBSD device driver emulating a Packet Driver ?

	Or any ISA ISDN cards that support CAPI which is used by
	the current ISDN driver. The German ISDN cards all support
	CAPI which is developed in Germany. However, I have a hard
	time in ordering  one here in US.

> A TA is the most flexible solution since the German cards are designed
> for EuroISDN (the European ISDN standard) and there's no guarantee that
> they'll work correctly outside of Europe.

	In US, we use NT-1 and NT-1 is an U-Interface.
	In Europe, there are using S/T interface.
	NT-1 type of modem most likely will not work in Europe.
	(Correct me if am wrong, thanks)

> ---
> Gary Jennejohn				(work) gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
> 					(home) Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de