Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 00:26:55 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        charon@seektruth.org
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Baldur Gislason <baldur@foo.is>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spontanious reboots

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 09:11:56PM -0600, David Syphers wrote:
> On Thursday 14 February 2002 11:43 am, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 05:35:27PM +0000, Baldur Gislason wrote:
> > > This box has been spontaniously rebooting for a while, we've replaced
> > > most of the hardware
> >
> > What hardware have you not tested/replaced?  Consider doing so :)
>=20
> There have been a lot of people reporting things like this (including me)=
=20
> recently on various lists.  I don't have the option of trying to replace=
=20
> hardware, but I ran memtest and didn't find any errors.  Would it be comm=
on=20
> for a system that has been running for 6 days (as both ours were) to sudd=
enly

> overheat without a fan breaking?

Of course, there's a nonzero chance it's a FreeBSD problem -- but,
seriously, almost all of the "spontaneous reboot" problem reports
which make it to FreeBSD support lists eventually turn out to be
hardware-related, when the submitter is convinced to go and actually
test it.

In particular, memtest isn't a foolproof method of testing
memory..there are just too many things it cannot pick up.  Physically
swap out the memory..it's the only way to eliminate that possibility.

Kris

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK--