Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:07:32 +0100
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] new category suggestion

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 03:57:09PM +0000, Thomas Hurst wrote:
> * Anton Berezin (tobez@FreeBSD.org) wrote:
>
> > So, here are three alternative suggestions:
> >
> > 1. Add new category `danish'.
> >
> > The disadvantage is that, in all likelyhood, there will be very small
> > number of ports in this category

> We already have categories like this.  Personally I'd like all the
> language specific stuff moved to it's own category and have the
> languages as subcategories, which would make lots of small language
> categories mcuh less painful.

Right.   But here we come to the *much* more serious re-organization of
adding another level to our existing hierarchy.  This has been discussed
before, to no avail.  Personally, I'd like to see this happen one day,
but the amount of infrastructural changes is going to be tremendous.  I
guess until someone does that at least as a proof-of-concept project it
just is not going to happen.

> > 3. Add new category `finance'.
> >
> > The advantage of this is that the number of existing ports can be moved
> > there.
>
> And it's more generic, but how many ports is it likely to gather?

Quite a bunch actually.  Things like gnucash (currently in deskutils)
and p5-Business-CreditCard (currently in misc) come to mind.

> > The fourth suggestion is of course to not create anything and just put
> > the ports to the big heap of uncategorized ports `misc' has become....

> With categories as specific as astronomy and biology, I do find it
> slightly odd there isn't a better category for tk regex engines, GUI
> archivers (goiing by the names alone - maybe they're more obscure than
> the names suggest :), networked cat replacements, findutils, and even
> quite common stuff like screen.

Astronomy and biology combined effectively incorporate all natural
schiences ports.  It's been suggested more than once to have a `science'
category instead.  As for the rest, it might be that some of those ports
really belong to other existing categories, though I would hate to see
any of them moving to `devel'.  As someone on IRC said, since my Danish
finance ports are libraries, they belong to `devel'...  :-)

\Anton.
--
| Anton Berezin                |      FreeBSD: The power to serve |
| catpipe Systems ApS   _ _ |_ |           http://www.FreeBSD.org |